Stacy Kelly – Health Enrichment Center 2004

Irene’s – When did you graduate from massage school?

Stacy – I graduated from the Health Enrichment Center in 2004.

Irene’s – Why did you choose massage therapy as a career?

Stacy – I wanted a career that was both physically active (desk jobs drive me nuts) and provided a service to help people feel better. It was quite a leap of faith for me to pursue massage therapy as I’d never had a massage myself before, nor did I personally know anyone who was a therapist.

Irene’s – Where do you practice massage therapy? 

StacyBroad Family Chiropractic and Still Point Massage in Canton, MI

Irene’s – What is the most rewarding part of your massage career? 

Stacy – Providing pain relief for people, especially when they’ve tried other avenues without success.

Irene’s – What was the best class you took at Irene’s massage school? 

Stacy – Lymphatic drainage! I use it frequently.

Irene’s – What bodywork modalities or massage techniques do you find most effective? 

Stacy – My career path has led me into specializing in visceral manipulation, where I focus on mobilizing the fascia of the organs for better function and motility. So many people these days have GI dysfunction to some degree, but what they don’t always realize is the effect that dysfunction could have on other regions of their body – the gallbladder causing left shoulder pain or the large intestine leading to right ovary pain in women, just as a few examples. And just as with regular fascial work, the results of visceral work are almost always made better with some lymphatic drainage as well.

Irene’s – What was your greatest success with a massage client? 

Stacy -To this day, I still attribute this mostly to sheer luck but I had a client come to me for visceral work because she had constant abdominal pain and swelling within hours of eating. She’d gone through diet adaptations and seen a gastroenterologist all to no avail. Together, we discovered scar tissue from a previous hysterectomy had bound up the beginning portion of her colon. Once we addressed this, her pain and swelling not only went away but she was able to go back to eating all the foods she loved but thought she couldn’t have. She now gives me grief about the twenty pounds she’s put back on since she’s been better!

Irene’s – Where is the first place you worked after you graduated from massage school? 

Stacy – Heavenly Body Day Spa in Frankenmuth, MI

Irene’s – What do you do for self-care to provide longevity of your massage career? 

Stacy – I get regular massage therapy, acupuncture, and chiropractic care. Maintaining my flexibility for this line of work is also very important so I exercise and stretch often.

Irene’s – To what do you attribute your success as a massage therapist? 

Stacy – Listening and learning. I can’t tell you how often I hear clients complain that another therapist didn’t address their problems but instead just gave them a ‘cookie-cutter’ massage. I ask my clients lots of questions, I repeat back their requests so they know I’ve heard them, and I give them specific self-help suggestions to convey just how invested I am in their wellness. I continuously strive to learn by enrolling in classes, swapping ideas with my coworkers, and researching online.

Irene’s – What marketing do you feel has worked best to promote your massage practice? 

Stacy – Word of mouth. When a client is extremely satisfied, they will send their friends and family to you.

Irene’s – What do you feel was the biggest mistake you made as a massage therapist and how did you address it? 

Stacy – Allowing myself to fall into a rut with my massage. Licensing wasn’t available in Michigan for the first 10 years I was in practice.  So there was a span of 4 years or so where I didn’t take any continuing education and I fell into a routine. Sure, I changed things up based on my client’s needs but my toolbox stayed the same. And after several hundred massages I started to get bored. The work felt tedious. I almost left the profession. But I instead immersed myself in more classes which reinvigorated my work and my love for massage therapy.

Irene’s – What continuing education have you taken after graduating from massage school? 

Stacy – Craniosacral therapy, lymphatic drainage, visceral manipulation, and Kinesio taping

Irene’s – Do you have any advice for new massage therapists? 

Stacy – Focus during each and every session. Focus on your body mechanics, focus on what the tissues feel like, and focus on how the muscles are responding so you can change techniques if need be. And explore different avenues of massage therapy. If you find a technique or treatment that you are passionate about, your job will never get boring!

Irene’s – What is the best way for massage clients to contact you? 

Stacy – By calling my office at (734) 354-9900 or scheduling online by visiting https://go.booker.com/location/broadfamilychiropractic