Jim Saltalamacchia Graduated from Irene’s in February 2016. 

Irene’s – Why did you choose massage therapy as a career?

Jim I chose massage therapy because I was retiring from a career in law enforcement and I wanted to do something else after retirement. I thought it would be a good way to help people and to stay busy.

Irene’s – Where do you practice massage therapy? 

JimI practice massage for Renew Therapeutic Massage. We are based out of Farmington but mostly do travel massage. We work exclusively with catastrophic auto accident victims with TBI and catastrophic injuries.

Irene’s – What is the most rewarding part of your massage career? 

Jim – I would say the most rewarding aspect of practicing with these clients is being able to help them relax and how they look forward to seeing you because you make them feel better.

Irene’s – What was the best class you took at Irene’s massage school? 

Jim – I believe the best class I took at Irene’s was Positional Release. It is a great technique to relieve tension in muscles in a short amount of time and it is incredible how well the body responds to it. I would have to say that this is the most effective technique I know.

Irene’s – What was your greatest success with a massage client? 

JimI don’t think I have a single success, but several. When a client has been unable to move an extremity for years and through working with massage therapy you are able to feel the tissue relax and the limb gains some mobility, it’s a great feeling.

Irene’s – Where is the first place you worked after you graduated from massage school? 

JimI had the good fortune to be hired by a local chiropractor when I just started school, so I had a job as soon as I graduated. It was a great experience to work on so many different clients while in school.

Irene’s – What do you do for self-care to provide longevity of your massage career? 

JimI guess my self-care is getting great massages from Irene’s students as part of their staff. Being able to be a client during their practical is an unsung reward! I also try to stretch and mediate when possible.

Irene’s – To what do you attribute your success as a massage therapist? 

JimI have had several mentors while beginning my massage career. First, my friend Jennie Trombley, who spurred me to try massage therapy and become a therapist. Brian Piccolo and Sue Salah, who I have had the privilege of apprenticing and then teaching with. These are just a few of the people who have helped me be successful.

Irene’s – What continuing education have you taken after graduating from massage school? 

JimI have taken several classes at Irene’s in continuing education. I have also practiced Touch for Health with my friend Jennie, but I would love to take the formal class and learn more about it.

Irene’s – Do you have any advice for new massage therapists? 

JimFor any new or beginning therapists, I would have to encourage them to be the best they can be and be positive in their mental outlook. Don’t be afraid to explore new avenues and techniques and don’t be afraid to spread your wings, so to speak.

Irene’s – What is the best way for massage clients to contact you? 

JimThe easiest way to contact me is by phone at 734-777-7472 or at Renew Therapeutic Massage.