Denise Mussio Graduated from Irene’s in September 1995

Irene’s – Where do you practice massage therapy? 

DeniseI am currently working and Anthony’s Hair Inc. Until the Pandemic I was at St. Mary Mercy Hospital in Livonia, working in the Sports Medicine Department and at Allen Park Community Center giving chair massage to seniors

Irene’s – What is the most rewarding part of your massage career? 

Denise – The most rewarding aspect of my career as a Myomassologist is just simply helping people. Whether physical, emotional, or mental, massage tends to help all aspects of a person. Some people are recovering from an (acute or chronic) accident or illness, or maybe that of a loved one, or the daily stress of life…job, family, pandemics. It is a great feeling to know that in some small way I might be of help.

Irene’s – Do you have a favorite memory from massage school? 

Denise – My favorite memory of being a student at Irene’s is hard. There are so many great ones! I guess the first time I heard Irene talk about energy work. My reaction was “Wow, there’s a name for this”. It made so much of “me” make sense. She was such a great mentor in my life.

Irene’s – What was the best class you took at Irene’s massage school? 

Denise – It is also hard to pick just one favorite class. I don’t believe I ever took a bad one. I guess it would be Heller’s work with Howard Rontel.

Irene’s – What bodywork modalities or massage techniques do you find most effective? 

Denise – I had Irene as my instructor so I strongly believe no one modality works for everyone or for the same person every time. I range from deep tissue to energy. I am a Reiki Master. I love resistance work. I throw in some Thai and Shiatsu. I really do try to work with the client at that moment and go with my instincts.

Irene’s – What was your greatest success with a massage client? 

Denise – My greatest success was probably when one of my clients asked me to come over and work on her daughter who was in the end of life care. She was basically comatose and unresponsive. Her caretaker was in the room and said how she appreciated me talking to the client and explaining what I was doing. That just because someone was unconscious does not mean that they can’t hear and that I seemed to know that. The next day the mom came in to tell me that her daughter had passed shortly after. She wanted to thank me for allowing her to pass with dignity and without pain or fear. That was very powerful!

Irene’s – Where is the first place you worked after you graduated from massage school? 

Denise – The first place I worked after I got out of school was Belcher Chiropractic. He was amazing to work with right out of school!

Irene’s – What do you do for self-care to provide longevity of your massage career? 

Denise – My self-care over the years has been kind of spotty. I always leave time between clients to stretch some. I am not so great at getting regular massages. I tend to be a bit of a workaholic. Lately, with the pandemic and having fewer jobs and more time, and a very good friend, I have been getting a massage every 3 or 4 weeks.

Irene’s – To what do you attribute your success as a massage therapist? 

Denise – I attribute my success to the love and support of my family and friends, a mentor like Irene, and God’s unending wisdom and patience.

Irene’s – What marketing do you feel has worked best to promote your massage practice? 

Denise – The best marketing is word of mouth. That and I have volunteered at a lot of local events around or through my offices.

Irene’s – What do you feel was the biggest mistake you made as a massage therapist and how did you address it? 

Denise – I think the biggest mistake I made was the first year I was an assistant teacher. We were teaching abdominal massage. A student therapist asked me a question and I made the mistake of putting my hands on the student client without asking permission. We even talk about not touching an abdomen without permission. They were both very upset. The client had very specific reasons for picking the partner she did and I had just invaded her space big time. Thankfully I was able, after several weeks, to regain their trust. I learned very quickly the importance of communication and try to never take it for granted.

Irene’s – What continuing education have you taken after graduating from massage school? 

Denise – I have taken a lot of continuing education over the last 25 years. I recently, of course, took human trafficking and ethics for recertification. I also just finished a course on brain trauma, concussion, and dementia.

Irene’s – Do you have any advice for new massage therapists? 

Denise – My best advice is to follow your gut instincts, talk less, and hear your clients, eat well, sleep well, and be happy.

Irene’s – What is the best way for massage clients to contact you? 

Denise – You can contact me for an appointment at:

Anthony’s Hair, 313-388-6618, 7330 Park Ave., Allen Park, MI. 48101

http://anthonyshairinc.com/

Irene’s Myomassology Institute is a nationally accredited massage therapy school located in Southfield, Michigan.  Scholarships and Financial Aid are available for qualified students to help them pay school tuition.  Our students graduate with a state license prepared for a successful career as a massage therapist.  Irene’s lifetime job placement services maintain an abundance of massage career opportunities for our alumni.  Irene’s student massage clinic provides affordable massage to the public with discounted prices for seniors and veterans. Irene’s massage supply store equips massage therapists with the necessities to manage a successful career.