Emily Weir (MacInnis-Weir) Graduated March 2020

Irene’s – Why did you choose massage therapy as a career?

Emily – I’ve always been drawn to natural wellness practices and holistic healing. Early on I identified “touch” as a primary love language and communication technique. My family and friends have always been encouraging to this path, as I was drawn to manual therapy at a young age.

Irene’s – Where do you practice massage therapy?

Emily – I am currently employed at Dustin Palmer Bodywork and Massage in Huntington Woods (outside Royal Oak), as well as a personal practice in my home studio in Redford. I can also be booked for some in-house massage or massage parties.

Irene’s – What is the most rewarding part of your massage career?

Emily – The client connection is my most rewarding experience in massage. Helping folks connect with their body, identify and manage pain, or using relaxation as a therapeutic technique is all available through massage therapy. It is wonderful to see someone’s relationship with their body change throughout a session and their spirits become elevated.

Irene’s – Do you have a favorite memory from massage school?

Emily – The very first person I met at Irene’s asked me what my zodiac (sun) sign is; I knew I had found a community with an engaging and beautiful energetic signature.

Irene’s – What was the best class you took at Irene’s massage school?

Emily – I feel it’s a very well rounded curriculum. The Applied classes were invaluable; structural evaluation of a client, charting, and critical thinking for MT’s… additionally I loved the Thai Therapy electives. I took all three!

Irene’s – What bodywork modalities or massage techniques do you find most effective?

Emily – The effectiveness of a modality does depend on the goals of the client and their mobility/ability. There are many modalities or techniques that can be combined for a supremely effective session. I combine compression, fascia therapy, and active release techniques in almost all my massage sessions.

Irene’s – What was your greatest success with a massage client?

Emily – I had a beautiful session with a client who was deemed to be a difficult and combatant personality when booking at Irene’s clinic. Truly his stress levels (and need for control) were through the roof! But once we got into the session, I was able to hold space for the client to release control and trust in the massage. He left calmly, noticeably less stressed, and even apologized to the staff members to whom he had spoken rudely to.

Irene’s – Where is the first place you worked after you graduated from massage school?

Emily – I am a recent graduate, and therefore (luckily) still at my first position as a therapist. However, before attending Irene’s, I worked as an office manager for a massage therapy office for two years in my hometown.

Irene’s – What do you do for self-care to provide longevity of your massage career?

Emily – Luckily my two specialties (intuitive deep tissue and manual lymphatic drainage) provide variety in the treatment room and help to reduce burnout. I’m very stringent about hydration throughout my day and work hard to eat nutritious, balanced meals. Recently I’ve taken “resting time” very seriously and my next goal is to ensure consistent exercise.

Irene’s – To what do you attribute your success as a massage therapist?

Emily – I work very intuitively and allow for the client’s physiology to direct much of the session (as well as their stated goals). This intuition allows for the client to feel “heard”, catered to and provides an excellent foundation for which to build a professional relationship.

Irene’s – What marketing do you feel has worked best to promote your massage practice?

Emily – The office I work for has a great web presence, and I am consistently booked there. This allows for my private practice to consist of word of mouth bookings.

Irene’s – What do you feel was the biggest mistake you made as a massage therapist and how did you address it?

Emily – Because I work so intuitively, there are many techniques that Irene’s teaches that I didn’t prioritize or integrate into my practice. Becoming an Apprentice after graduation allows for me to revisit and reconnect with these teachings.

Irene’s – What continuing education have you taken after graduating from massage school?

Emily – I’ve completed the Human Trafficking coursework required for my intermittent license renewal; there are many options out there and I would love recommendations!

Irene’s – Do you have any advice for new massage therapists?

Emily – Learning to care for others is a great tool in learning to care for yourself and vice versa. These practices must be intertwined and reciprocal for a successful career.

Irene’s – What is the best way for massage clients to contact you?

Emily – Private clients can book me directly through text or email; 734.945.0639//e.mac.weir@gmail.com or follow me on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/energy.massage.wellness/

You can also book me at https://www.dustinpalmer.com// by following the “Book Now” buttons and selecting my name.

Irene’s Myomassology Institute is a nationally accredited massage therapy school located in Southfield, Michigan.  Scholarships and Financial Aid are available for qualified students to help them pay school tuition.  Our students graduate with a state license prepared for a successful career as a massage therapist.  Irene’s lifetime job placement services maintain an abundance of massage career opportunities for our alumni.  Irene’s student massage clinic provides affordable massage to the public with discounted prices for seniors and veterans. Irene’s massage supply store equips massage therapists with the necessities to manage a successful career.