Kelly Chavers Graduate February 2014

Irene’s – Why did you choose massage therapy as a career?

Kelly – Massage is something I’ve always enjoyed doing. My friends and family always told me I was good at it. I wasn’t entirely sure what I wanted, but I wanted a creative way to help people. A career where I can work with my hands and even work for just myself was also something that I know I wanted. When I discovered Irene’s I knew that massage therapy would be a great career for me.

Irene’s – Where do you practice massage therapy?

Kelly – I have my own mobile massage therapy business.

Irene’s – What is the most rewarding part of your massage career?

Kelly – Massage therapy is very rewarding.  Watching the techniques and different modalities I’ve learned actually work and change people’s lives for the better, helping people with mobility and pain management. Also, having a career I enjoy that allows me to be able to support my family is extremely rewarding as well.

Irene’s – Do you have a favorite memory from massage school?

Kelly – That whole year at Irene’s is one of my most cherished years. The Detroit Free Press Marathon event was really fun and definitely stands out.  Just coming to my hands-on class every week and laughing, learning, and having a great time with them.

Irene’s – What was the best class you took at Irene’s massage school?

Kelly – Every single class I’ve taken at Irene’s has been wonderful, packed full of great information.  I’ve taken hot rocks, infant massage, myofascial release, and trigger points, just to name a few of my favorites.

Irene’s – What bodywork modalities or massage techniques do you find most effective?

Kelly – It all really depends on what is going on with the muscles and body and who I’m working with. I enjoy deep tissue massage, Swedish massage, reiki, and cupping.

Irene’s – What marketing do you feel has worked best to promote your massage practice?

Kelly – Manifesting has really worked best for me. In my first class at Irene’s, Kathy, Irene’s daughter, told us when Irene first started out as a massage therapist to get clients Irene would write on her calendar “more clients”, and they would just come to her. Until finally, she would have to write ENOUGH because there was physically not enough time in the day for everyone. I get all of my clients by word of mouth.

Irene’s – What do you feel was the biggest mistake you made as a massage therapist and how did you address it?

Kelly – The biggest mistake I’ve made as a massage therapist is when I first started out I felt like I could only give my best massage if I used my thumbs. I have gained confidence in my palpation skills with other parts of my hands and arms now.  You do not need to use your thumbs to give a wonderful and productive massage.

Irene’s – Do you have any advice for new massage therapists?

Kelly – Keep up with self-care; make sure you have good body mechanics, stretch your body, and find a friend to trade massage with!