Heather Kapteyn  Graduated September 2011

Irene’s – Why did you choose massage therapy as a career? 

Heather – I had been interested in Massage Therapy since I was in High School.  I was that person that was always giving back rubs to my friends and family. I had been practicing Business Administration for 11 years.  When the recession came it seemed like the perfect time to explore a career change.

Irene’s – Where do you practice massage therapy? 

Heather I love working with other Therapists in a Team environment. I facilitate that aspect of my practice at LaVida in Bloomfield Twp. Independently; I practice under my own business name, Healing Sense Bodywork, in Birmingham.

Irene’s – What is the most rewarding part of your massage career? 

Heather Providing soothing relaxation and pain relief to clients.  Witnessing the change in people is so astonishing and rewarding.

Irene’s – Do you have a favorite memory from massage school?

Heather Lots and lots of jokes and laughter, especially in my hands-on class.  Until attending Irene’s, I didn’t know that education and learning could be so much fun with the opportunity to meet such great people.

Irene’s – What was the best class you took at Irene’s massage school? 

Heather Table Thai. I was sore for five days after that class, but my body then healed, and I gained flexibility in places that had been restricted for years due to injuries.

Irene’s – What bodywork modalities or massage techniques do you find most effective? 

Heather – I am very interested in Craniosacral Therapy which was also my favorite class.  I advanced my practice and education in the modality through The Upledger Institute and find myself frequently utilizing techniques from that coursework.  MFR, positional release, and muscle mechanics also play major roles in my therapeutic sessions. I do see myself expanding and learning more techniques in years to come and as our world reopens after Covid.

Irene’s – What was your greatest success with a massage client? 

Heather – A Male client that worked as a contractor in construction came to me with a sacral lower back strain and could barely walk.  He was hunched over and limping because he was in so much pain.  Through a blended application of CST, muscle mechanics, Passive ROM, Eff & Pet his pain was reduced by 80%.  When he got off the table, he could stand up straight and the acute pain was gone.  He was in awe of the power of massage/bodywork.  He still sends me referrals and I have treated many of his family members.

Irene’s – Where is the first place you worked after you graduated from massage school? 

Heather – I worked for a Chiropractor in Troy practicing Therapeutic and medical-massage.

Irene’s – What do you do for self-care to provide longevity for your massage career? 

Heather I stay active every day with some form of movement.  It could be light stretching or going for a walk.  I keep a steady schedule of receiving bodywork and massage. I stay hydrated, rested, and maintain healthy balanced eating habits.

Irene’s – To what do you attribute your success as a massage therapist? 

Heather – I enjoy the work and have adopted it as an aspect of well-being for the rest of my life.  People respond positively to those that enjoy their work.

Irene’s – What marketing do you feel has worked best to promote your massage practice? 

Heather Word of mouth.

Irene’s – What do you feel was the biggest mistake you made as a massage therapist and how did you address it? 

Heather Expecting too much from myself too soon after graduation.  I injured myself, overworking myself, and not keeping proper self-care.  I slowed down and focused on personal care and reminded myself that my business was my “massage practice”, a lifetime learning environment and there was no race to win in my career as a therapist.

Irene’s – What continuing education have you taken after graduating from massage school? 

Heather Introduction to Bowen Therapy, CS1/CS2 through Upledger, and a lot of books, online CE, and YouTube videos. 🙂

Irene’s – Do you have any advice for new massage therapists? 

Heather – Listen to yourself, your intuition, follow your hands, they will guide you.

Irene’s – What is the best way for massage clients to contact you? 

Heather – Often people call or text me directly as I am often in session. Ph: 248-495-0326 or check out my website http://healingsensebodywork.massagetherapy.com/